So, obviously this head is a mess and I wont be using it for a finished doll. I’ve been dissatisfied with the knitted wigs for awhile. They are too generic for my taste and not expressive enough. As my mom put it, “the wigs are really perky-looking…they don’t fit the woebegone attitude most of your dolls have.” I think she’s right. (Plus I am uncomfortable making something so close to a hallowig.) So I wanted to show some of the experimenting I did with new ways to make hair. I needle felted corriedale roving onto the head and then spun the fibers together to make chunky strands.
This photo shows the strands pulled back into a pigtail.
And this photo shows some early experiments with curling the strands. I used my mini craft iron. It shows promise, so I ordered a tiny curling iron that I’ll use next time.
I know you can buy curly mohair roving, but it’s expensive and doesn’t come in enough colors. Plus with straight wool I have a flexibility to make it curl if I want or leave it if I don’t.